If you’re anything like me, you may be suffering from a minor post-grad depression. Nothing major, just missing all of your friends, your much nicer apartment, your parents money, cheaper alcohol, etc. Lucky for you, I’m here to give you my top tips on how to ball on a budget while still enjoying the finer things in life.
- Makeup- This is one of my favorite tricks, considering I’m a major Sephora junkie. If you’re anything like me, you may be a bit of a snob when it comes to your makeup collection. My favorite thing to do when it comes to makeup is to get all of the free samples I can! When I go to Sephora I ask for any free samples of foundation, concealer, mascara, etc. that I can get my hands on. I also LOVE getting free skincare samples, especially of the really expensive stuff that the Kardashians use that I could never actually afford IRL. This Lancer Skincare that I have gotten samples of I actually loved enough to purchase. I know, I’m insane.
- Drinks- TBH this is actually terrible but I have pulled this a few times. Do you have an old/current fling, bumble or tinder guy that you would be willing to stick out a conversation or two for some free drank? Was your paycheck slacking this week, but you’d like to be able to drink more than the one cheap beer you can afford? Well, you better believe I’ll be messaging a few matches to see who’s willing to buy this girl a marg. (Side note: I’ll be posting a Story Time: Bumble Edition blog post if you love a good & hilarious bad date story).
- Food- This is really, really sad, but the food in New York is frick frackin’ expensive. My go-to has been to eat at home/pack most of my meals. I have also been doing almost all of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s, with my total being $50-$75 for 1-2 weeks worth of food, which is awesome! I also freeze a lot of my meat (mostly hot dogs and chicken lol) and then just pull it out and defrost it the night before I want it. This helps me to not waste food, which I am usually totally guilty of. I will also sometimes get fruit from the fruit carts outside of my apartment, where you can actually negotiate prices from time to time (I once got a bunch of bananas for $1!) But TBH food is of utmost importance, so if you have more advice on how to get some good cheap food in NYC, then let a girl know in the comments below.
- The Living Situation- In this blog post I talked about apartment hunting in New York City and the process I went through. The one thing that I absolutely love about the apartment that I am currently living in is the fact that we have so many free amenities! I have a doorman, concierge, rooftop, lounge, movie theater, gym, and classes all available in my building, free of charge for residents. Take advantage of the amenities that your living situation provides you! My favorite part of my building is the gym. I save so much money not having to pay for a gym membership, and we also have free classes in our gym! But if you don’t have access to a gym or classes, I would highly recommend this Kayla Itsines BBG workout program. You may be able to find this program on Pinterest for free I’ve heard… but the best part about it is that you can do these workouts anywhere. I’ve done these workouts at the gym, in my bedroom, living room, backyard, etc. Also take advantage of YouTube! There are so many free workouts available on there that you can most definitely find something that will work for you.
- Travel– Between going to school in South Carolina and moving to New York but being from Ohio, I have traveled quite a bit over the last few years, and have really learned a thing or two about how to save money on flights! Lately I have been booking Frontier flights since they are the cheapest I can find. I will generally book two separate one way trips instead of a round trip (almost always cheaper in my opinion) and then I’ll only bring a personal item (Frontier charges you for a carry on) but I can usually fit a few outfits into a backpack or large purse and I have clothes I keep at home as well! As for traveling abroad, my best friend and I went on a Europe trip through Costco, which I personally think saved us so much time and money! I would highly recommend checking out Costco vacation packages here.
And those were my top ways to ball on a budget! Do you have any other tips on how to get cheap and free things? Leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts!